Sep 3, 2012

New (York) Stage of Life

The hard concrete under my feet, the sound of traffic and people around me, the smell of the nearest food stand in the air.... Yes, it must be New York city. MY city.

I have been here for over a week and it feels as though I have lived here all my life. I'm not getting lost anymore, I know the trains by heart, and I know exactly where each borough is and where not to be past ten at night.

It has taken a week, but I am now properly settled in my new apartment. It is the largest apartment that was available to freshman this year, and Lord willing, we will be able to keep it for the entire year or longer! This is the view outside my window:




Although New Student Orientation (Referred to as NSO) was absolutely exhausting, I enjoyed every minute of it. First with move-in day and the welcome ceremony which was held here (second picture down on the right. The one with the vaulted ceilings!) and ending with Convocation which was held here (with a whole bunch of information fairs, meetings, curriculum assessments, and presentations in between). I promise, as the semester goes on I will probably touch back on the details and stories that made up my NSO.

So, how much exploring have I been able to do since I got here? Well, whenever I have a spare hour or two I will leaf through my "Not For Tourists Guide to New York City" pick a close-by spot on their must-see for cheap list, and take off with metro card in hand. Thus far I have seen:

Grand Central Station

The New York Public Library


The High Line
Trinity Church
Other places I have been to, of which I have failed to upload pictures would be Central Park, F.A.O. Schwartz, Macy's, and The Rockefeller Center. (I will put them up as soon as my homework allows!)

As you probably gathered from the lateness of this post, I have been drowning in classes and homework. Again, I promise that I will post here whenever I have a spare minute, but it will have to come after classes, homework, eating, cleaning, and calling my mother every once in a while!

And so, I bid adieu to you all as my mountain of homework has just tightened its grip around my neck. I will try my hardest to post here at least once a week and when I have a particularly interesting story to tell. Also, I will eventually give you the specifics of NSO week and I will attempt to upload a video tour of my apartment!

Au revoir!

xoxo

-H

P.S. I will be covering Fashion's Night Out and posting many pictures, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment