Jul 27, 2015

City to Sea: A Day at Fort Tilden

Hello Lovelies!

I am currently sitting on my couch, letting aloe gel soak into my crispy skin. I know... I'm really terrible about applying sunscreen. Considering the day I had yesterday, however, my lobster limbs are more than worth it.

10:30am Saturday morning found me rushing around Union square picking up snacks and supplies from Trader Joe's and the farmer's market. One such item was a bottle of Red Jacket Strawberry Apple Juice, which believe me, is as good as it sounds.

Like I said, it was Saturday, and seeing as how the MTA is the supreme kill-joy of all weekend plans, we had to transfer and take a bus to get to the beach. Below is our route (the 4 to Franklin, the 2 to Flatbush, then the Q35 the rest of the way). It took approximately 1.5 hours, so we arrived shortly after noon and pitched camp.  



I've never really been to a non-Florida beach, so I was unaccustomed to the idea of a beach without trees or shade of some sort. That's really my only complaint... well that, and the fact that we didn't realize this was a topless beach. Quite the initial shocker, let me tell you. Moving right along...

The weather was lovely, and this beach affords wonderful waves for boogie boarding. We (my coworkers and I) enjoyed a nice picnic lunch before packing up and walking west in search of the more interesting portion of the beach (and the whole reason I came). The majority of this peninsula is home to an assortment of abandoned houses and military bunkers see HERE for historical background. Oh and before I forget, here is your weekly music recommendation, as I listened to it on repeat on the way to and from the beach. 



For most of these, the sand was piled up high enough to where we had to crouch to climb in to the front doors, but it was well worth it, as you can see. The decay of the buildings with the addition of artwork from visitors past gave the place an eerie feel. It was beautiful, all the same, and I'm disappointed that this is the only abandoned site I've been able to (legally) access since I've moved to the city. Amid the broken glass and rusty nails were cans of food, a book, shreds of blankets. I don't know who lives here, but they've got a pretty sweet get-up living by the beach... 







From here we continued west. I had heard/researched about an actual bunker that was built in 1917 and had been abandoned since just after the cold war (I think... check the link above for exact deets). There is no road to the bunker, so you have to follow the sidewalk until it stops, walk about 50 feet past that, and then take a little side-path to the right. Below is the a map with the approximate locations of the houses (rectangle) and the bunker (circle). 


It took a bit of wandering and climbing through brush, but after getting turned around a few times we ran smack-dab into it. You really can't miss something that looks like this: 


Now this is where things got interesting. I didn't expect something this big to be "open" to the public. Sure enough, when we got to the entrance, it was gated and locked. However, being the determined, and sometimes downright reckless, person that I am, I saw an opportunity, and literally squeezed my way in. 

This is the entrance right under the hub thingy
and this bent part of the gate was where I squeezed in,
Just a pic as proof... Cred: The Duffalo
And yet again, I've gone above and beyond the call of my blogging duties, and even took a video just for y'all ;)



The inside of the bunker was basically four hallways with rooms going off of each. By the amount of garbage, it seemed that people were living here too, at some point. Though how they got in, I have no idea. My one regret is that I did not go prepared with a good flashlight. I had to use a camera light as you can see in the video, but I couldn't really see much. At one point I ran straight into a hornet's nest and came screaming back out. I don't think my reaction could have been worse if I had run into a pack of wild dogs. 

You can't see in the pic above, but there is a set of stairs that takes you above the bunker. After exploring inside (which only I did seeing as how no one else could fit through the bars), we climbed up to the top, and our trek could not have been more rewarding. Not only were we treated to a breathtaking view of the ocean, but way, far out in the opposite direction, we could see the Manhattan skyline. 




At the top we ran into a man who had seen me inside the bunker. He asked me straight out if my friends had ram-rodded me in... now wouldn't that have been a cool story? 

By this point it was around 5pm and we were ravenous. To end our day, we decided to take another bus (the Q22 to around 87th street) to the Rockaway Beach Surf Club. This is quite the cool surfer scene, and their fish tacos are to die for. Be prepared, if you go during rush hours (which is always, at this place, apparently... there are plenty of friendly beach bums here popping by with their boards at all hours) you'll have to wait in line for at least 20 min to an hour, but let me tell you, it is well worth it. 


They've got a nice yard where the tables are, complete with murals, huts, and sea-wood benches
The line is always out the door
the surf boards that decorate their ceiling
I ordered two fish tacos ($3.50 each) and a Pina Colada ($9). A little on the pricey side for the drink, but seeing as how I'd never had one and this was the beach... Oh it was well worth it.



I still can't believe we did all this in one day... Yet here I am... rubbing in another coat of aloe vera. I highly recommend visiting Fort Tilden and basically everything that I just mentioned (then again, do I ever blog about anything that I don't recommend?). I'm still exhausted, and I might need to get a tetanus shot, but I count this trip as a success. 

Last shot: This was from the train on the way back home. I always get giddy when I'm far enough out in the "burbs" to where the train goes above ground. Just goes to show how much in need of real nature and sunlight I am... 



Until next time, lovelies! 

XOXO

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment