Jul 4, 2015

A Night of Culture: The New York Philharmonic

Hello Lovelies,

So what is the logical response when your coworker invites you to a night of free live classical music in the world's most famous park? To grab your wine, strawberries, nutella, and a picnic blanket, of course!


Observe: One of several that I had pre-concert in the middle of the Great Lawn.
The meadow, as you can imagine, was packed. But we managed to squeeze our blanket in close to the stage, right next to one of the barriers or "cattle pen" as one of my sassier coworkers called it. We spread out our blankets, unpacked our dinner, uncorked the wine, and enjoyed the sounds of tuning instruments.





Our strawberries, nutella, and wine in classy plastic cups
The two hour wait didn't feel so long thanks to my coworkers and the riveting conversations of our blanket neighbors. It was just getting dark when the conductor took the stage, and the show began. Now I'm not one for getting cheesy, but this was one of those quintessential New York moments that I won't be forgetting any time soon. There I was, sitting on a picnic blanket in the middle of Central Park on a beautiful warm summer night, surrounded by thousands of New Yorkers, with wine in my hand, listening to the City's very own philharmonic orchestra. Pure fairytale. 

You can listen to their entire performance HERE, but just because you are my very favorite readers: 




Unbelievable, right? :) And if that wasn't enough, after the show they finished with a firework show right over the south skyline. 





I think my favorite part of summer in the city is the plethora of free events that are actually worth seeing. Despite this city's reputation for being unbelievably expensive (and believe me, it is), there always seem to be opportunities such as these to have a world-class experience, for free. So stay tuned! The summer is far from over. 

XOXO

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment