Jul 13, 2015

Soul (food) searching in Harlem

I hope you all had as lovely an Independence day weekend as I did... 

After two weeks of spending time with family and friends, I am finally back in the city, and it feels wonderful (maybe not the heat, but certainly being back). 

This past week I had the privilege of seeing the city with fresh eyes thanks to the visit of a friend of mine. Since I never really visit the touristy parts of town while I'm here, it's nice to have an excuse ;). 

Thus, Saturday night found me in the heart of Harlem, right off of Malcolm X Boulevard. We went with one place in mind, Sylvia's Restaurant, which was highly recommended by people who should know.
125th street station tile art

So before I describe the experience, just imagine this playing in the background... because I'm cheesy like that and it's totally what was playing in my head as soon as I got above ground. 

Are you listening to it? Ok.... 


So. Sylvia's Restaurant. Let me tell you, it blows my mind that I spent the majority of my life in the south, and this is the first time I've tried soul food. Then again, I didn't have grits until I came to college either.... 

We took the 2/3 to 125th street, and then walked one block north. You really can't miss it. 


Check out my super complicated directions...
I didn't really do my research before I showed up, so I was under the impression that this was going to be a hole-in-the-wall place--which I'm perfectly ok with. 

I couldn't have been more wrong. The place has nice outdoor seating, a bar, and plenty of indoor seating with pictures on the wall of famous visitors and Sylvia's family. 

It was completely full when we got there.
So what is the obvious choice when one tries soul food for the first time? How about Chicken and Waffles. It was the only thing on my mind when we decided to come, and let me tell you, theirs did not disappoint. Let me start by saying that I don't like chicken. If there is any other protein option, I will choose that over chicken. The reason being, I had one too many of those dry, grocery store rotisserie chickens as a child. Therefore, chicken has to be pretty good for me to give it my seal of approval, and this place has it. 



What is this heavenly combination that I've somehow never tried? Why does it taste so good together? I think we can safely put that on the shelf of universal mysteries along with Atlantis, UFO's,  and the Bermuda Triangle. The chicken is fried to crispy perfection and the meat practically melts in your mouth. This along with a waffle smothered in syrup is nothing short of heavenly. 

All this to say, this restaurant officially makes my visitor must-try list, and if you are planning on visiting me and/or the city soon, be prepared to take a ride up to Harlem. :) 


The lovely lady herself.
Can I just say again how good it feels to be back in the city? Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my family, but there's just something about these bustling concrete sidewalks that make me feel like I've always belonged here. 

One last thing: That night after eating at Sylvia's, we took the train down to The Highline to catch the sunset. I came across a man furiously pecking away at a typewriter behind a sign that read: "Poems about anyone or anything." 

Any other day I would have blown past without a second thought, but that night was already so special that I decided to give it a shot. I sat down and had the privilege of hearing the life stories of other fellow New Yorkers waiting to get a poem as well. When it came to my turn, this is what he wrote: 
  

Why do I love this city? For moments and experiences like these. 

XOXO

-H

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including me Helen. It was great meeting you.

    ReplyDelete