Jun 16, 2015

China Through the Looking Glass: A Met Expedition

Happy Monday everyone!

I hope your day, wherever you are, isn't as dreary and depressing as it is here in New York. You would hardly believe it was June, what with the ominous gray clouds.

Summer in the city has provided me with abundant time to pursue every whim with which I wake up on the weekends. Yesterday I had one such ambition so I found myself on the 4/5 at noon, headed to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, armed with my camera, and sketch book.

I had completely forgotten that the Met had their China Through the Looking Glass exhibit up. I had made  mental note to go sometime during the school year, but between finals and transitioning into my new job, it got put on the back burner. If you didn't already know, this is the exhibit that was introduced at this year's Met Gala, where Rihanna wore her show-stopping gown. I am VERY glad I got to go yesterday, because--let me tell you-- this exhibit is beyond description. I'm not one to frequent museums. Frankly, I rather spend my time outside and exploring on my own, but this.... Well you just need to see it for yourself. 

A striking first look had me instantly captivated. 





Projectors are set up throughout the exhibit playing famous Chinese films. Whoever planned the exhibit is a genius: Ancient artifacts are displayed right beside Chinese-inspired designer creations.





Gorgeous, no? I have to admit, I had an embarrassingly-girlish reaction when I saw this golden beauty. This exhibit takes up over 15 rooms and three stories. I went through all of it in two hours, but I still feel like I need to go through it again. Each room offered a refreshing new perspective on the history and culture through a fashion designer's interpretation. However, I'd have to say my favorite room was on the first floor of the exhibit: Set up like the courtyard of a Chinese palace, the floor is made of black marble to give the effect of a dark pool. The models are suspended over the "water," which reflects the projection of a blood moon on the ceiling. All very eerie when you see it in person. Lucky you, I got a video. ;)






The exhibit continues down two more floors filled with more designer creations. This is where it gets a little more modern and loose in interpretation, but it is all beautiful, nonetheless. 







So I think it goes without saying that you need to visit, if you can. I've never seen a more satisfyingly-arranged exhibit. The atmosphere was on point, the pieces exquisite, and I was left wanting more. 

Other than that, my Sunday was filled with more exploring and walking, about which I will post soon. I have walked close to 7 miles this weekend and have succeeded in wearing out yet another pair of flats. Yay... Anywho, I hope you enjoyed my pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them! 

XOXO 

-H

P.S. A little taste of what's to come: I found what seems to be a hidden palace in the UES that I need to further investigate...



No comments:

Post a Comment