Jul 17, 2015

Urban Adventures: Upper East Side

Hello Lovelies,

As promised, this is the second half of my weekend adventure. After traipsing through the Met for the majority of the afternoon, I had a spare three hours before the evening service at Church. I began walking east towards the water, and soon ran into what appeared to be a gated park. Upon further inspection however, it turned out to be The Rockefeller University. This was my approximate route:

Correction: I crossed over to the water on 71st, not 70th

Not only had I never heard of this school, I was under the impression that Columbia was the only school in the city that possessed a traditional campus. This one was beautiful (from what I could see from outside the gates), and I invite any suggestions for getting on campus just to have a look around. This is what I could see from outside. It looks like a palace of sorts...


I walked around several times before I realized there was no easy/non-camera-monitored entry way, save for scaling a fence, which I was fully prepared to do if I wasn't in a skirt. So again, if you know of any *legal* way to tour the campus, let me know!




Continuing my exploration, I walked around the campus and tried again for the water. I finally found access through a strange little alley way (the last stretch of 71st street after York Av.) and conveniently came across a foot bridge over the FDR. Crossing said bridge, I was treated to the following view:



Now I don't know about you, but I never have and never will get tired of views of the East River (as you have probably noticed over the years... I post a lot of them). While you can't necessarily camp out on this foot bridge, it makes for a lovely viewpoint of the river and Roosevelt Island.

Continuing on, I crossed the FDR to the Riverside park, officially known as the Bobby Wagner Walk. This is really a great place to go and take a leisurely stroll. Personally, it's hard for me to switch gears from my aggressive stride to relaxation, but the scenery and sea breezes help just a tad ;).


On a side note, if you are hungry and you are in that general area, you might as well head to Mimi's Pizza on Lexington between 84th and 85th. This is one of the first authentic NYC pizzerias that I visited as a little Freshman (and since then I have become quite the pizza connoisseur thanks to being a college student and all...), and it is still one of my top choices and an absolute must when I'm in the Upper East Side. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture, but their slices are massive (just one is a meal for me), and you have to try their margarita pie.

So there you go... the Upper East Side as I see it. For now, at least: I expect once I graduate there will be a few more places in this neighborhood that will be within my price range (fingers crossed).

Until next time!

XOXO

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment