Sep 24, 2014

Havoc on Wall Street

Hey there Lovelies! 

This is a couple days old, I know, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to grill some rebel-without-a-cause, climate-obsessed, tantrum-throwing, hippie-liberals. 

I'm sure you all heard about the "Flood Wall Street" protest that occupied the streets of the FiDi, completely and utterly uninvited. I am fundamentally against such wild and nonsensical protests. Not because I don't believe that people aren't entitled to their own (wrong) opinions, but because, well, when has protesting ever accomplished anything?

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate the NYPD for doing all that they did this Monday. Even though I was quite pissed at how long it took for me to get to and from school (because I had to keep convincing the officers that I did in fact live and go to school here, and just because I was a college student, did not mean that I was ready to jump on the protest bandwagon).
Anyway, so these reds decided that the best way to promote climate change was to come through, make a ruckus, and leave trash in our otherwise clean-ish streets. Please, someone tell me how they screwed up being effective on the most basic level.... 

Not only was it noisy, it disrupted everybody's work day. So, instead of working hard themselves in order to make a living and stop having a reason to complain about income inequality, they not only threw a giant protest through the streets of the Financial District, they got in the way of the masses of hard-working Americans (your fellow 99%, people! Just these aren't sitting around complaining, they're actually working for their living instead of depending on others' tax money) on their way to work. 

If that isn't enough, they decided that those responsible for the climate change were...... the 1%? What, did they run out of party themes and thus decide to create a nonsensical mash-up? This is an intellectual embarrassment. But it just serves as more proof that people will blame "the rich" for so much as a stubbed toe. 

Here, however, is the one highlight, the one positive outcome of this congregation of sheeple: The House of Reagan, ladies and gentlemen. I'm so proud (I'm serious, not being sarcastic for once) of these boys representing our school in such a way. I know there have been arguments flying back and forth about whether this interaction with the protesters was as productive and tactful as it could have been, and I have to say, in such a setting, it was. Here's why: When you get a massive congregation of "supporters" for such a protest, I GUARANTEE you that at least 85% are there just for the experience (i.e. just to get an adrenaline rush). Do they support these views? Maybe.... Do they fully understand what they are advocating? Abso-hella-lutely not. They are literally just their to say that they were there. They are not looking for an intellectual discussion, their only purpose is to get right up in your face and have a "reason" for it. Thus, even though I wish we could sit down with each and every one of these people to have a discussion on their views, in these situations, the only opposition they are going to pay attention to, is opposition of the same form (fighting fire with fire). Therefore I am proud to say these boys go to my school, and I kinda wish I could have been out there with them. 

Since none of my posts are complete without visuals..... here are some pics I snapped making my way to and from school. 

The cops in front of my school... I practically had to wear my student ID on my forehead. 


Blocking off the NYSE
Thank God it's all over... the FiDi has returned to its clean, quiet, normal, self. Sleep awaits.... I will see you lovelies later :) 

xoxo

-H


No comments:

Post a Comment